http://www.emailmeform.com/builder/form/31sadvez8cJ8F

Pages

Sunday, January 8, 2012

Meet Gaia

It all happened quite quickly, my Aunt was up from Christchurch, and there was a chance we would briefly see her before she went back, so I had a window of opportunity to give her gift to her tonight, which also means I can now share it with you all seeing as there is no risk of ruining the surprise!

So here she is, "Gaia"

There are a few pics of the process and then the final product, I hope you enjoy it. It was a really great creative journey for me too, and the first time I have done free motion feathers, so that was a big step for me.

ALL quilting was done with Aurifil 50/2 LOVED it.. so easy, no breakages and no stress for a first time FM featherer. The applique was Gutterman, purely because I have so many more colours I have to use up.

I liked the Sharon Shamber basting method, though there was a LOT of fluff brought through the holes when the thread was pulled out. But it was a lot better on my back, I'll be sticking with it for a while.

I need to look at different interfacing, the heat and bond lite cannot be used over big pieces, it makes 'bubbles' when the fabric behind it bends and moves (which quilts do!) I'll have to do some trials of other iron-on leave-in interfacings. (I hate fiddly products and methods)

So happy with it, its great to see her finished.

Okay, enough chit chat! Here she is...

(Click on the images to see a bigger version)









Awesome!!

Unfortunately I'm back to work tomorrow, gotta get back to my day-job, but I will be around. 

My only new years resolution is to keep blogging, It has been fun getting this going a bit more regularly over the holidays, and I love it when I get you all commenting and saying hello.

Have a great week ahead, I'm going off to psych myself up for "That which enables me to quilt!"

Take care!





3 comments:

  1. Stunning! That's absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!! I love your piece above....you machine quilt..I hand quilt. just what we were taught...lol. I am trying to learn FMQ; not easy for me, butr trying....I don't want to be limited to the hand quilting. Thanks for sharing your work....

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...